top of page

What to do

The passing of someone close is always a difficult time and at Jason Worsnip Family Funeral Service we will help to guide you through this undoubtedly difficult time.  Hopefully this information will assist you, but please contact us to ask anything you are unsure about.


When someone dies at home

Contact your GP (or out-of-hours service, or ambulance service if the deceased wasn’t registered with a GP).  A doctor will come to the house to confirm the death.  If the cause of death is established, the GP can issue a death certificate.


When someone dies in a hospital or nursing home

A doctor or qualified nurse will confirm the death and they will arrange for the death certificate to be issued.


When someone dies unexpectedly or suddenly

The GP will report the death to a coroner, who will decide whether a post mortem examination or inquest is required.


What to do next

You will need to obtain a death certificate from the GP or hospital doctor.  You need this to be able to register the death.

Once you have registered the death you will receive the necessary documents needed for the funeral.

You will need to obtain the will.  The executor should know where it is.

At this stage we can then help you to arrange the funeral.


How to register a death

You need to register the death within 5 days.  You can go to any register office but using the one in the area where the person died should result in you being given the documents on the day.  Otherwise you may have to wait a few days.  You may need to make an appointment to register a death.


Who can register the death?

You can register the death if you are a relative, someone who was present at the death, an administrator from the hospital, or the person making arrangements with a funeral director.

What you will need to take

  • Take the medical certificate confirming the cause of death with you (it should be signed by a doctor). 

  • It’s also really useful to take the deceased’s birth certificate, council tax bill, driving licence, marriage or civil partnership certificate, NHS medical card, passport and proof of address, if you are able to locate them.

  • You should also take supporting documents with your own name and address.


What the registrar needs to know

  • The person’s full name and any previous names

  • Their date of birth

  • Their last address

  • Their occupation

  • The full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving or late spouse or civil partner.

  • If they were receiving a state pension or any other benefits.


What happens next?

Once you have registered the death you will receive a green Certificate for Burial or Cremation and a Certificate of Registration of Death.  You may need to fill this out and return it if the person was getting a State Pension or benefits.

You can also buy extra death certificates – you will need these in order to sort out the deceased’s affairs.

"Tell us Once"

Having to inform numerous organisations that a loved one has died can be both emotionally draining and time consuming.

The Tell us Once service lets you report a death to most government agencies in one go.  This includes HMRC, DWP and DVLA.

When you register the death ask the registrar if the service is available and they will give you a unique reference number and telephone number for the service.  You can also access the service on-line here.









bottom of page